domingo, 18 de marzo de 2007

You or your world?

Having reading the article “You or your world?” and commenting it with my mother, it came to her mind a book called “Cuando Nada Te Basta” of the author “Harold Kushner”. The main taught that the book has left to her was: it is not the happiest person the one who has everything, but the one who conforms with what he has. From there, she started rereading and I read for the first time that book. Now, I want to make some little reflections over the first part that I read and which is related to the first article we read in class of the section You 2.0
There are many questions that are established and are not easy to answer. For example:
“Wanting to be happy is asking too much in life?”, “would it be that happiness as eternal youth or perpetual movement are an unreachable purpose, no matter how much we effort to reach it?”, “or is it possible that the man is happy but what happens is that he has taken the wrong path?”
Oscar Wild once wrote that: In this world, there are only two tragedies. One is not obtaining what we want, and the other is obtaining it”. What he tried to warn us is that no matter how much effort we put on doing things right, success would never leave us satisfied. When we reach to that point, after scarifying many things in pursuit of success, we understand that that wasn’t what we wanted.
Many times, while we watch television or a movie, we think how happy we would be if we had everything that appears there. But we would have to think why people that possesses all that, lots of times (or most of them), aren’t happy either. This proves us that although we see it constantly, where movies show us or the books tells us, the message never get to us. We always believe that if we had all the things that they have, we would be happy.
By the other hand, if the concept that we have of ourselves depend on our popularity and the opinion we deserve in front of the eyes of other people, we would always be liable to this other people.
This is why having the best car, the best house, the supposed best man or woman, never fulfills or ends fulfilling completely of happiness the life of people because evidently our souls do not need comfort, riches, or power. This gratifications creates almost as many problems as they solve. Our souls are thirsty of sense and what they are eager for is the sensation that we have learnt to live in such way that our existence is important, so that the world is at least a little different by the fact that we have been through it.

These reflections I had with my mother while we read the book I wanted to share them with you as they are related with the article we read in class.

2 comentarios:

CAL dijo...

Very interesting discussion of the nature of happiness, Gina. You touch on several key concepts that shape our life and how we feel about it. I totally agree that above and beyond money, luxury or power, perhaps feeling happy means seeing our words or deeds have touched someone's life in a positive and significant way. I enjoyed your reflection, Gina. And great idea to discuss it with your mom!

Val dijo...

Heyyyy!!! how are you girl? Well.. here I am... I haven't read everything, but, the one about insomnia... the same told my doctor to me!!! jejejeje Exactly the same... to read before sleeping (which I always do), no to use the computer or wath tv before sleeping, to do what I really like, sports, guitar, that kind of things... to eat helthier,... but he didn't give some pills! jejeje "and I swear you're just like a pill, intead of making me better, you keep making me ill!"... it just came up to my mind... well, se you tomorrow Ginss!!! Great flog!!